Monday, May 16, 2011

Back to Basics-Vanilla Pound Cake

As I have mentioned before, I now have a wonderful source for farm fresh eggs, and I needed to use some up (before the next two dozen arrive). With berry season right around the corner (almost) and rhubarb season here (some stewed rhubarb would be perfect with this pound cake), I thought I would try a new, but basic, pound cake. Simple, classic, and delicious. You can get the recipe here.


Eggs. The best thing on the planet. These are the next best thing I can find to having my own chickens.

So many shapes and sizes and colors. Some are almost round, others oval, and many the "perfect" egg shape. All of them are tasty!

Really basic ingredients-two sticks of unsalted butter, and a cup of sugar....

Two cups of flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoons of vanilla, and four eggs. An easy recipe to memorize and a great go-too for a last minute dessert.

Adding the eggs one at a time after beating the butter and sugar.

Then the vanilla.

A very thick batter.

Put in a buttered and floured loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour (my oven actually stayed true to the temp for once and the cake came out in exactly 60 minutes).

Turned out on the rack and cooled a bit before cutting.

The crust is nice and a little crunchy. Toasting would make these slices even more delicious. I cut it when it was still warm...and ate one of the heels.

No comments:

Post a Comment