Monday, May 23, 2011

Eggstatic

I know I've posted the perfect hard boiled egg, and everyone knows how to make egg salad, but i just had to post this because, well, I AM eggstatic about these eggs.
On Sunday I received my third (or fourth?) delivery of eggs from my super secret farm source, and they are better than ever! I've been getting two dozen a week...and I only had about 5 left from last week to hard boil (because that is what I do whenever I buy new eggs...even when the expiration date is not up). Baking helps use them up, as well as scrambled eggs, crust less quiche, etc. And do these eggs ever make good scrambled eggs!!!

This week's two dozen.

This guy was enormous! Do they have geese, too?

I know I've posted this, but the crust less quiche is so quick and so good, here we go again. 6 eggs, 1/2 cup of half and half....

Beat together (with my wonderful, old fashioned hand beater my mom gave me for my birthday). Add some salt and pepper.

Then add 3/4 cup of grated cheese, and whatever else you have on hand. I did mushrooms and....

spinach. Quick way to chop spinach (or basil or parsley) is to sort of roll it/ball it up and, keeping your fingers in check, start chopping.

Quick and easy-just like the recipe!

Ready to go into a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes.

 Easy and good-with a simple salad it makes a great lunch or light dinner.

Meanwhile I set last weeks eggs (and some of this weeks) to boil. Perfect eggs are easy-fill the pan with water up to an inch above them, place over medium heat until they come to a simmer, remove from heat, cover, and let sit for about 11 minutes. Then remove them and plunge them into an ice bath (or place them under cold running water).

See? No grayish green yolks! Perfect hard boiled eggs!

There are two camps for egg salad-there are the pro-celery and the no-celery sides. I am pro-celery, when I have it. I like the crunch. So I tossed in some diced celery, a glob of mayo, an almost equal glob of Dijon mustard (I like it mustardy), and some relish.

Yum...

and YUM. On some thin rye bread (i also have a secret love of egg salad on pumpernickel).

2 comments:

  1. While we are talking hard boiled eggs, how about an old school Gas House Spinach Salad? I did one this weekend with maple bacon and spinach from the garden. Cauliflower, sunflower seeds and hard-boiled eggs with a cream based dressing. ( I know that the Gas House always did that bacony sweet and sour, it doesn't work for me.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!! I was planning on bringing some spinach home from the garden anyway.....what was the dressing?

    ReplyDelete