Thursday, June 23, 2011

No-Cook Strawberry Freezer Jam

I can never resist deals on fresh produce, so whenever I see "2 for $3" or "2 for $4" signs posted above the seasonal berries, I snatch them up and figure out what I will do with them later. I'm not a big canner....yet. I think canning is just such a daunting project because you really need to make a lot of something to make it all worth the time processing the jars. I am, however, a big freezer. I've been using up a lot of last year's berries, and replacing them with what I am buying now (so I will have them all winter long). The same will go for sweet corn, zucchini, cherries, etc.  So I had some strawberries, and this is what I did.....

Oh! I also have some currants! These little gems are from our modest first year harvest. I like eating the tart little berries out of hand, but thought they may add a bit of tartness to the jam.
These weren't so technicolor in person.
I sort of ground/chopped them in the Mini Prep....left some big chunks.
Then i pressed/mashed/juiced the currants.
Using a sieve keeps the pulp and seeds behind.

I only had about 2 cups, so i halved the recipe. The recipe calls for 4 cups crushed strawberries, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 5 Tbsp instant pectin (i use Ball brand). Stir everything together for 3 minutes....
And then fill your jars and let them set up for about 30 minutes, then freeze for a year, or refrigerate for about 3 weeks. The recipe will make 5 half pints...so mine made 2 and a half. Ball also makes these awesome, reusable, BPA free plastic freezer jars.
Nice and jammy! And EASY!

2 comments:

  1. Looks DELICIOUS! We're picking wild raspberries here now. Love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the blackberries are almost ready!!! so i need to use up what i have in the freezer! can't wait until next years harvest of currants-may have enough to make some jelly. oh...and let me just say again how envious i am of your garden. looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete