Tuesday, July 26, 2011

All I Need Now is a Bloody Mary!

Last week my friend Erin over at I'm a CSA Blogger posted a recipe for pickles that reminded me that I really needed to do something with the masses of wax and purple beans I've been bringing home from the garden. Dilly Beans it is! The recipe is almost the same as Erin's pickle recipe, and you could process the jars if you wanted to (I didn't, though one of them "popped" as it sealed itself-I'll still refrigerate it though so as not to kill anyone).


Brought home from the garden Sunday and today! WOOT! The first real live slicing tomatoes (and lots of cherry, pear, and grapes).

You need about 2 lbs of beans (or just adjust the recipe as needed) rinsed and the tops picked off (and strings removed if there are any).

A 3 minute toss into boiling water.
Get an ice bath ready.
Hey! What happened to my purple beans? The turn green when cooked...I think they were bred to be purple so they would be easier to see on the vines.
Cool them in the ice bath and then pat them dry.
Get your 4 pint jars ready. Each one gets 1 tsp red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp black peppercorns, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper...
1 clove of garlic (minced or whole) and one head of dill (I love dill and have a LOT so I used one flower head plus a few leaves).
For the brine boil 2 1/2 cups vinegar, 2 1/2 cups water, and 2 Tbs kosher salt.
While the brine comes to a boil, pack the beans into the jars. Some people make sure they all face the same way...I really don't care.
Ladle the brine into the jars leaving about 1/4 inch headroom.
Screw on the lids and give it a shake.
Make sure everything mixes together...you may even want to shake them a few times over the next few weeks.
Let them cool and the put them in the fridge for two weeks. They will keep easily for 2 months...but may not last that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment