Monday, July 4, 2011

Fireworks in the Garden

Yesterday, while watering, I was about to pull the dried allium flower heads up. However, I realized they sort of looked like fireworks, so i took pictures, instead.

Happy 4th of July everyone!

Hundreds of tiny seeds. Some say you should cut the flowers because the seed head will take away from the bulb, but I've never noticed a difference.
You can grow allium from seed, but the bulbs also multiply, so I'm not sure if it's really worth it. From seed, they take about 4 years to bloom. I figured i would just let them drop where they are, and if the grow, great! if not, no big deal.
The Grand Finale!

2 comments:

  1. Pretty clever Matt...like the observation !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should save and glitter them -
    watch the first few minutes of the cream cheese bow video:
    http://www.marthastewart.com/show/martha-stewarts-holiday-open-house

    ReplyDelete