Monday, August 8, 2011

Meatless Monday...What To Do With All The Tomatoes

This long, hot summer (and perhaps the introduction of all new garden soil) has caused the tomato vines to climb higher than I have ever seen, and the harvest is just beginning. Friday night I decided to do something about all the tomatoes on the counter, and made a really simple pasta dish I saw in an email from Every Day Food. Here it is...

Two pounds of tomatoes (they said paste tomatoes, but I just used a little bit of all the heirlooms, as well as some Romas).
Chopped up and set aside after mixing in 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar and 1/2 tsp. salt.
Even the cores and "ugly" parts I cut off look pretty!
A shot of how the tomatoes are taking over...I have replaced what I used with twice as many more yesterday.
3 garlic cloves, sliced thin (I then chopped them a bit, as well), 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, and 1/2 tsp. dried oregano.
Cook the garlic in 3 Tbs olive oil until golden, then add the red pepper flakes.
Combine the tomato mixture with the oregano...then toss in the pasta (to suck up the juices).
Then add 1/2 cup chopped parsley and 8 oz. mozzarella to the pasta
Toss it all together and eat it immediately!!! SO GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment