Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Stewed Okra and Tomatoes

Okra is one of those foods that people love or hate (or, in some cases, love to hate). "It's slimy", "It's hairy", "My mom made me eat it!" Whatever. I love it. I love it pickled, I love it in soup, and I love it in this super fast and easy recipe...and cooked like this it is neither slimy nor hairy.

A lovely okra bloom that turns (very quickly) into...
...pods. Now, they are a little hairy, but not if you pick them when young (about 4" long is the max I let them grow). They are also slimy while cutting them up, but not after they are cooked. I promise.
 I started with about 1/2 an onion chopped and some minced garlic sauteed in 2 Tbs of butter. Once soft I added 4 or 5 tomatoes that I just sort of chopped up (and their juice!), cooked for a minute, and added the okra (I had about 1 1/2 lbs). Then you just cook it down until the okra is tender, but not mushy, about 15 minutes.
Oh! I also added some dried thyme and a couple of bay leaves and a splash of Marsala.
Topping some white rice, a delicious meal in minutes. For leftovers I added a few more tomatoes while it was reheating and had it as a side with chicken. Mmmm, mmmm good.

2 comments:

  1. I would never have thought marsala and okra would be a good pairing but actually, the way you describe it does sound delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really called for red wine...but I didn't want to open a bottle (because then, of course, I would have had to drink it). I love this dish!

    ReplyDelete