Thursday, September 1, 2011

Quick Corn Chowder

Several years ago I made a really good corn chowder that had a LOT of steps. Last week, I made a simplified version with the WONDERFUL sweet corn from Hardy's Farm Market out off of Ardmore on Knoll Road (look for the green and yellow pennants).  The rest I blanched and froze for the winter (the freezer is getting full!). 
The recipe was basically as follows...
6 ears of corn, stripped
1 small onion, diced
Maybe 4 smallish potatoes, cubed (I left the skin on)
4 cups of chicken stock
2 Tbs unsalted butter (or, if you prefer some bacon, fry the bacon first and then use about 2 Tbs of the grease)
1-1 1/2 cups of half and half
salt and pepper to taste

Start by melting the butter in a heavy bottomed pot.
Add the onion and cook until translucent, then add the potatoes and stock. Cook until the potatoes are almost tender.
Meanwhile, strip the raw corn from the cobs, and divide it into two parts (or just do the first three...it will be ready to add to the pot when you are done).
After the potatoes are almost tender, add the corn from the first three ears. A lot of recipes have you make a sort of  corn "stock" out of the corn cobs to use rather than the chicken stock. I decided to just throw in a few of the stripped cobs to add a bit more flavor.
After the potatoes were quite tender, I removed the cobs and mushed it all with a potato masher a few times (but didn't try to break up all of the potatoes) and then added the remaining corn...
...and the half and half. Really about 1 cup is enough.

It was pretty tasty, but seemed to be missing something. Perhaps I should just stick to the recipe that is tried and true, rather than "invent" my own. I am sure they are also much easier to follow.

I had some leftovers tonight with a shredded chicken breast. It was REALLY good!

No comments:

Post a Comment