Monday, October 24, 2011

Coconut Cream Pie...Sort Of

After work on Saturday I decided to finally make a coconut cream pie (to replace some cake that never made it to its recipient)...sort of. I used a recipe from the November 2009 Everyday Food. Although I never topped it with the whipped cream and toasted coconut, Guy seemed to think it passed muster. However, he is the only one who tried it, and you could put coconut on a turnip and he would love it. Maybe.


I melted a little more butter than the 5 Tbs...I always think cookie crusts need more than called for, plus I was making a wee bit more crust than called for (because I don't have a deep dish pie pan and was going to use a tart pan).

I couldn't find any "chocolate wafer cookies" at Target, so I used Teddy Grahams. If you look closely, you can probably see a bear about to be baked.
I had enough for the pie and two "samples". This recipe would actually work really well to make single servings for a buffet or a sweet addition to a cocktail party. While the crusts were cooling, I began making the filling...

When was the last time you bought whole milk? I had forgotten how delicious it is.
Egg separating fail.
Here we go-egg yolks, whole milk, sugar, and corn starch.
DON'T STOP WHISKING!!!

4 1/2 minutes in and I was beginning to get nervous. The recipe said about 5 minutes and it would thicken.
And it did! At almost exactly 5 minutes!

Press the custard through a fine sieve, to make sure you get any cooked eggs or lumps out (although after 5 minutes of non stop whisking I really don't know how you would have any lumps left).

Adding the coconut...
And filled the shells. Tossed them in the fridge, and they were ready to eat in about 3 cocktails worth of time. Maybe 4...
I added the whip cream for the beauty shot (and whipped the rest to make Bourbon Ice Cream, I mean, if you are already whipping heavy cream, you may as well whip a little more...). Pretty good, even for a coconut cream pie with a chocolate crust and no meringue.

No comments:

Post a Comment