Thursday, October 20, 2011

Preserving Parsley for Perpetual Pleasure

You all know I love flat leaf parsley. Right? I think I've mentioned it about 100 times. Well now I know how to keep it for the winter, thanks to Margaret Roach over at A Way to Garden. If you are a gardener and haven't looked at Margaret's site, well, you are missing out.

Parsley is a biennial herb that is really pretty hardy in our zone 5B garden. We are lucky to have a rather well established parsley patch that needs little attention. Every spring, however, I always sow more seeds just in case...as I said, I love parsley.  If you are sowing parsley seeds for the first time, don't worry if they take forever to germinate. There are a lot of old legends and superstitions about parsley being the "Devil's Seeds", and it is said that the seeds travel several times "to the Devil and back" before they sprout.

 Devil's Seeds or not, you will be rewarded in the end.

The bunch I picked from the drippy garden on Tuesday. Wash and dry them fully...wet leaves make for unhappy freezing.

Pick all of the leaves from the stems (this is a wonderful, mindless act best done while listening to NPR)...

And place in a freezer bag. Sort of shake and push the leaves to the bottom of the bag.
Once it is somewhat shoved into a "log" shape, start rolling tightly and pressing all of the air out of the bag before sealing.
Use a rubber band to help hold the shape, then toss into the freezer (I double bagged mine).
The parsley stays green and slices off quite easily. Now I have about ten more logs to make...will that be enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment