Monday, November 7, 2011

Meatless Monday: Penne with Pumpkin Sauce

I ran across this recipe a few weeks ago on marthastewart.com while searching for something else, and it sort of stuck with me. It looks rather odd, and I had a few doubts, but I also had a can of pumpkin in the pantry. I've used squash in pasta before, so why not pumpkin?
Pumpkins are full of vitamins and minerals (Vitamins A, B, and C, beta-carotene), it is also a good source of fiber. So I went for it. I think I would have added a bit more vinegar for a little "zing", and when it says season generously with salt, they mean generously. However, it was very tasty and very filling for a quick, one pot meal.

Frying the rosemary does two things-makes a crunchy garnish and infuses the oil with flavor.

Such simple ingredients- 15oz can of pumpkin, a clove of garlic, 1/2 a cup of half and half, and 1/3 of a cup of grated Parmesan. I actually used 1/2 a cup of Parmesan to cut down on the salt (but make it more bad for you? who knows). Also 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (I used way more) and 1 Tbs white wine vinegar (I should have used more).

Pumpkin, garlic, and half of the half and half.

After adding the rest of the half and half, things began to smooth out.

Threw everything else in and kept stirring.

Thinned out a bit with 1 cup of pasta water (I didn't need more). I cooked the pasta separately, since I was only making one serving. This will be delish as leftovers.
Topped with the fried rosemary (always nice to have a plant, or three, in the house). It's a bit different, but I'm glad I tried it.

No comments:

Post a Comment