Monday, November 14, 2011

Meatless Monday: Soup's On

This is pretty much the same recipe as the "Orange Soup" I made last fall, but with a few switched-out ingredients. I had some parsnips in the fridge, and carrots, and way too many cans of chickpeas, so at the grocery tonight I grabbed a golden Hubbard squash, kale, and some vegetable stock. I usually use chicken stock, but decided to make this a real "meatless" dinner. (Although I will probably add some of the garlic smeared chicken I baked tonight for leftovers tomorrow) 

It makes a ton, so for one person there is plenty left over for three pints frozen, and enough in the fridge for at least two more meals (although I'll have to add more stock).


I bought two Hubbards, but only used one. The other I'll roast in the oven.
I think it's easiest to slice the squash into wedges, and then slice off the rind.
Sharp knives help a lot. The same thing works well for butternut squash, too.
This isn't really a recipe, just a "throw it all in" soup idea. I used one onion, a bunch of carrots, and about three largish parsnips (I love subbing parsnips for potatoes...it makes me feel like I'm being healthy). Perhaps this should be called "Root Vegetable Soup".
Oh, also lots of garlic and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
Sauteed the onion, garlic, and thyme for a few minutes, then started tossing everything else in.
Added the stock (one box of store bought organic-really rich) and a can (yes, can) of diced tomatoes, juice and all.
Finished cutting up the squash while this was coming to a boil, and then added it (letting the carrots and parsnips cook a bit longer, since the squash doesn't need as long to become tender).

Added the can of chickpeas and then a bunch of chopped kale. Use more than you think you need, since it wilts down to nothing. Spinach would work well, too.

Would have been perfect with some crusty bread. It was pretty good by itself, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment