Saturday, December 3, 2011

Isle of Palms to Shem Creek...and (sigh) Home

On our last day, we headed across the Cooper and Wando Rivers to Isle of Palms, a beach town that reminded me quite a lot of Holden Beach. I was already sad to know we were leaving the next morning, and REALLY sad to think I would be getting up at 6 a.m. (Mallory and I still had some partying to do, Housewives style). However, a visit to the beach and a pretty low key afternoon with everyone was an excellent way to push those thoughts out of my head.

And I still had the hope of seeing a gator.

Merry Christmas!

The tide was waaaaaaaay out. The water was too cold to swim, but just being there, soaking it in, will help this winter.

The quintessential beach town. So, so much like Holden Beach.
Uncle Guy and the Baby were captivated by something.
That something was this awesome kite.


The Baby and Big (Grand) Papa getting their shoes wet.
Then we headed off to Shem Creek via Sullivans Island.
Over the marshes...

And we arrived. Shem Creek is lined with a bunch of restaurants right up on the docks, so people will just dock their boats and jump off.


This was the bar connected to the restaurant where we ate. Roof decks are really big down around Charleston (all of the places we went to on Friday night had them).
Playing a game of  chess. Dockside style.


Seriously.

As the sun was going down we saw this!!!

A guy, his dog, and his flat board.

Time to go! Wheeee!

I'm totally over my hatred of anything "tropical".


Heading across the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge. It is the second longest (1,546 feet) cable-stayed bridge in the Western Hemisphere.

Then it was goodbye Charleston and sunshine, and hello several mountain ranges and rain. I think these are the Blue Ridge Mountains. I think.
We stopped at the Pigeon Forge exit for gas (be still my beating Dollywood heart), and I hurried and attempted to convince Guy that it made perfect sense to head toward Nashville and THEN head North. He didn't fall for it.

And this is what we got instead. It was a long drive home, and Guy drove the whole way. He's a champ!

1 comment: