Sunday, January 15, 2012

An Attempt at Scaccia Ragusana

I saw this recipe on Alexis Stewart's blog, and thought it would be fun to try. It looked easy, although the results looked rustically complicated. It was good, but I think next time I will embrace this as more of a pizza project and put some toppings on the layers. The recipe is from Saveur.


The dough was super easy-Semolina, salt, and water. Add eggs and it's pasta.

Mix it in a bowl and then knead for 8 minutes (or until it looks smooth and is elastic). Then let it rest, covered, in an oiled bowl.
Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. I wish I would have pulled the basil off the stems, rather than just throwing the bunch in (as per the recipe) so I could have left them in the pie. They were a mess when I pulled them out, so they were tossed.
Roll the dough, roll the dough, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll the dough. (Sorry, Bubble Guppy song that is forever stuck in my head after Thanksgiving with the Dough Faced Baby.)
So here is where the downfall begins. My counter is not large enough to get this dough 1/16 thick. Nor is my rolling board. Ugh! I thought I was fine, but I wouldn't be...
First layer, easy enough.
Fold left third over, and repeat with sauce and cheese.
Fold the right third to the left edge, and sauce it up.
And here is the eff up. I should have had one more fold (believe it or not) after this, creating a seamless top. Instead I have sort of a messy slit wrist (this could be a good dish for Halloween). I should have measured the thickness of the dough, but really, who does that?
While the pie was in the oven, I tossed some mini bellas in the remaining sauce to use for a quick dinner later in the week.
And here it is. I described it Saturday night as the large, unwieldy, hard to eat child that resulted from a one night stand between a calzone and a pan of lasagna.

Here is a look at the layers. They slipped a little. Still, it was pretty tasty and extremely easy to make. I will definitely make it again, after I clear everything off the counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment