Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Look At My Jadeite Collection (Both Real and Reproduction)

I have been collecting Jadeite (or Jade-ite, as Anchor Hocking called it) since about 1998. This was just as prices began skyrocketing, doubling and sometimes tripling in cost from year to year. Luckily, in Fort Wayne, I was able to swoop in and purchase quite a chunk of this collection, mostly piece by piece, before the antique dealers really caught on. Some of my plates are chipped, some are worn a bit, but most are in wonderful condition and I am happy to be using everything again. That is the key to collecting-use what you collect. Jadeite, thankfully, is extremely durable (which is why there is still so much available today) as well as plentiful. These all used to be my everyday dinnerware, and I'm glad I brought them back into the kitchen. I may not buy Jadeite as often anymore, but I feel the spark has been struck again.

It's always fun to pick up a new piece every now and then.


Stacks of saucers and some restaurant ware coffee cups. The saucers are one of the most inexpensive things to find, and they are wonderful to use for hors d'oeuvres and desserts.
A mix of old Fire-King and new reproduction.
A very durable restaurant ware mug.

The various shapes of the coffee mugs show how many different patterns of restaurant ware were made.
An original Fire-King stamp. "Oven Fire-King Ware" dates this piece to the late 1940's.
Using pieces for different uses brightens up the coffee counter of my kitchen. A saucer catches drips from the tea pot, and a fruit bowl becomes a spoon rest.
This mug is a reproduction from the last decade, but I love how large and heavy it is.
Sugar bowls with lids are a rare find...one that I have yet to discover. But this cream and sugar set still do their job well. The creamer is marked "Oven Fire-King Glass", dating it to the mid 1940's (as is the fruit bowl). The creamer, stamped "Oven Fire-King Ware Made in the U.S.A." dates it to the 1950's era.

The classic Jane Ray pattern.
A cup and saucer in the more delicate Alice pattern.
Alice is quite like Jane Ray, with the addition of flowers and vines, and some detailing at the rim.
A married cup and saucer. The cup is restaurant ware, and the saucer is in the swirl pattern.
The swirl pattern mixing bowls, each discovered separately, was perhaps my biggest investment I ever made. I bought them all for $50. They currently each go for $20-$40.


I use these bowls all of the time, and the small one works great as a double boiler to melt chocolate over a pot of simmering water.
This is an unmarked little flower pot that I use every single day to hold a dish sponge.
And what mid-century kitchen would be without an ashtray?
Another late 1940's piece.

The ball pitcher is a complete reproduction, the batter bowl on the left, however, was made by Anchor Hocking, although it is from the resurgence and is marked "2000".

More reproductions and inspirations. The flatware is from Martha's old Everyday collection at K-Mart. The melamine ice cream bowls and spoons are from her current collection at Macy's.


The bottom of the covered casserole with the "2000" stamp.

The stoneware crocks next to the stove (also from the Everyday collection) were also inspired by the color of Jadeite. All these pieces really do brighten up my kitchen, and I think I'll keep the entire collection out during the long, drab Winter ahead.

6 comments:

  1. Just getting caught up on the blog and I found may way back to this post. Oh how I love your Jadeite! (And you too!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got an ashtray like yours pictured above. Mine has no Fire King logo on the back. Does yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice find! I'm pretty sure it does, but I'll have to check again and let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great collection...I have the same handled batter bowl and ball pitcher, which I purchased at Target back in 2001.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Mine are both from the same time, but I don't think I found them at Target. I also have a nice set of reproduction pieces (dinner, salad, soup, and cups and saucers) from a local place that I found just a few months ago and were priced at $20. I couldn't say no to that!

      Delete