Monday, January 23, 2012

Meatless Monday: Cabbage with Tomatoes

Another recipe from the New York Times via Alexis Stewart's blog, not only is it meatless, it's vegan! And delicious. I love cabbage. I love dill. I love chickpeas. Really, this was a no brainer. I sort of screwed up the recipe a tiny bit (I put in 26oz. of tomatoes rather than the 14oz. it called for-I can't imagine it only having 14oz. in there), and would probably add a tad more vinegar (it may have been "off" due to the extra tomatoes), but this recipe for cabbage with tomatoes, bulgur, and chickpeas will definitely be made again. Plus, cabbage is full of all sorts of really good stuff, like things that protect the body from cancer causing free radicals, and vitamins K and C, and dietary fiber, vitamin B6, folate, manganese and Omega 3 fatty acids

I think cabbage will be the next kale!


All of the ingredients. Cooking is so much more enjoyable when everything is prepped and ready to go. Plus I rarely forget ingredients!

Wait. I forgot these two ingredients. The Pomi tomatoes (found at Big Lots for $1 a pack!!!) have turned out to be my favorite "canned" tomatoes ever! I need to restock!
Adding the paprika to the onions.
Adding the cabbage a little at a time. Adding more as the prior addition starts to wilt makes it easier to stir. A lot of cabbage (I used 3/4 of a largish head) wilts down to nothing.
Soon you have this (the water in the cabbage keeps everything juicy and didn't even come close to sticking/burning).
Add the dill...

...then the water and sugar and vinegar and the chickpeas and bulgur.
Another ten or fifteen minutes later (I turned the burner off at ten and then covered the pot and let it stand for a while) and it's ready!
And really, really yummy. It would be a great side, but I had it for dinner and have a LOT of leftovers. The recipe says it makes 6 servings...I think it makes a bit more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment