Thursday, February 2, 2012

Failed Attempt at Altering a Recipe (But the Muffins are Still Tasty)

I always pretend like I am going to wake up early, make breakfast, get the ball rolling, and head out the door. That has NEVER happened. Even when I get up early I usually sit around and look at my coffee. I'm just never hungry in the morning. You always read that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, getting your metabolism going and blah, blah, blah. Can't the three flights of stairs to the Penthouse taken three times a day be my cardio? 

Well, my gut (what an ugly word) says no. I started doing yoga again (and nearly broke my neck), and I've had a rather screwed up appetite lately (a severe case of the Blahs arrived last week). I decided to use up some of the berry stockpile in the freezer and make muffins. After all, I can just grab one on my way out the door in the morning. Plus, I found some great deals on Bob's Red Mill products at Big Lots last week (seriously good deals at the Big Lots).

I used a recipe from Martha's Baking Handbook, but this one looks even better. I should have used this one.

1 stick of butter
2 cups all purpose flower (I used whole wheat flour...and the muffins didn't rise)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups blueberries
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup milk


After mixing the flour, baking powder, and salt, toss some on top of the blueberries to coat them.

I used too much...
They should look like this.

While the butter and sugar is creaming, I lazily prepped the eggs and vanilla. (the vanilla really SHOULD go in after the eggs)
I was over it. Dumped the eggs in and then the flour and then the milk.
Folded in the berries.
Then filled the muffin pan. Oh! I also forgot to flour the pans, so there was quite a bit of sticking. In the oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees, rotating the pan halfway through. Then cool on a wire rack before turning them out to cool completely.
After being in the oven at 375 degrees for much longer than the 30 minutes, and they were flat as heck. I blame the cavalier way I just substituted whole wheat flour for all purpose. I really need to go back to following recipes, after all, baking IS a science. I also need to shake this funk I'm in. The muffins are still pretty good. I had one for breakfast this morning.

1 comment:

  1. substitute "gut" for 'delicate constitution'...aka, "my delicate morning constitution does not allow for feasting with the roosters" or something...sorry about the funk...i think everything is just messed up this season...too much rain, not enough bright white...and what the hell are we supposed to wear? spring clothes? fuzzy sweaters have been out of the question...the lack of direction is definitely disconcerting....

    ReplyDelete