Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Another Coconut Cream Pie

I know I've already posted about a coconut cream pie, but last week when I was excited about making pate brisee with my new food processor, Guy suggested I make coconut cream pie (he added "duh!" to the end of the request). Since I knew I would be able to get rid of it quickly, I went ahead and made it. I used a recipe out of Martha's Baking Handbook, which I found on the website here. It seemed to be a hit, and after a sample and keeping one slice, Guy took the rest home. He can handle the calories.

Heating the coconut milk, cornstarch, salt, and sugar to a simmer.

One egg, beaten.
First add a little of the milk mixture (once it has simmered) to temper the egg, then add the rest and whisk together.
Strain the egg/milk mixture into a clean saucepan and whisk over medium heat until the mixture thickens. About 3 or 4 minutes.
Don't stop whisking until it is thick, and then pour into a clean bowl.

Press plastic wrap onto the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming.
Then set the bowl in an ice bath until completely cool. You can also make this a day ahead and keep it covered in the refrigerator until you assemble the pie.
In the meantime, melt some semi sweet chocolate.
Set over a pan of simmering water, my Fire King bowl works great for this.
Brush onto the bottom of the pie crust (which I had made the day before). Then chill to set the chocolate. The chocolate helps prevent the crust from getting soggy.
Finally ready to assemble the pie.
First comes the custard.

Then the whipped cream (one cup of heavy cream and 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar).
I let it get a bit too stiff, but had already planned on a cover-up.
The extra chocolate I poured onto waxed paper and then lay it across the rolling pin to harden up.

Then I used a pizza cutter to cut random slices.
And had chocolate "curls"!
Covered in toasted coconut and chocolate curls and you can hardly tell the whipped cream was over-whipped! Now what pie am I going to make with the other half of the pate brisee recipe...

No comments:

Post a Comment