Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Waiting For the Lion

This has been such a strange Winter, and even though everything is pushing up out of the mud as if Spring has arrived, I still have a sinking feeling that Old Man Winter will make one last appearance. After all, I don't think anyone would argue that March has come in like a lamb.

That said, the garden is looking incredibly Spring-like. I've brought home a dozen bright yellow daffodils (5 last week and another 7 yesterday), and everywhere I look there is something else appearing weeks before it normally would. Perhaps this is how Spring will be now that we have moved from hardiness zone 5b to 6a.

I never get tired of watching the daffodils grow...and anticipating the blooms to fill the Penthouse. I need to do a count this year to see just how many different types we have now.
A sure sign of Spring is the arrival of crocus. These are near some rocks and creeping flox in the front bed. I really cannot wait until the ones Junior and I planted in the lawn begin to bloom.
A sign of the end of Winter? We shall see...

The Siberian squill (Scilla sibirica) are pushing up beneath the flowering crab apple.
Out in the Cutting Garden the mixed hyacinths actually have visible buds! This seems so very early.

One of the 'Woodstock' hyacinths is coming up between the blueberry bushes.
The 'Autumn' ferns are still Spring green in the Hydrangea Border.
The crocus bulbs in the Hydrangea Border are multiplying nicely. Most of the bulbs in this bed, on the shady North side of the house, usually bloom a bit later than in the rest of the garden.
And the clumps of grass and other weeds are already making their presence known. Time to begin yanking these guys out!
These light blue Dutch iris never came up last year, and I thought the whole lot of bulbs were bad. Hopefully we will have better luck this time around. The squirrels have been busy leaving their corn laying around. You can see the rabbits have been nibbling a bit on the leaves, as well. Time to get out the hot sauce spray!
Bright green chives always make me happy. I couldn't resist snipping a few of the fleshy leaves just to smell their pungent fragrance.
An even more welcome sight is the parsley. I've used up almost everything I stored in the freezer, and cannot wait to have fresh parsley out of the garden again. There are already many plants popping up randomly from windblown seeds that will need to be relocated.

The thyme I planted as a sort of living mulch in the Mint Patch (or, I guess, the Mint and Thyme Patch) is looking good. A lot of clean-up needs to be done in these beds, however.
And the late sowing of kale that I did more as an experiment than anything else is looking good. A nice head start to fresh greens in the garden. I was tempted to plant some spinach, but resisted since the beds still need to be double dug and prepped.
In a new section of the Shade Garden an allium is pushing up.
And the edging of common muscari on one side of the new section is growing nicely. So far there is no sign of the edging of muscari and short daffodils on the opposite side. We'll just have to wait and see what they end up doing.

Up near the boxwood, a muscari azureum is already blooming!
With such a mild Winter, nearly all of the snapdragons we planted are going to give us a repeat performance.

On Tuesday I snapped this picture of a little Iris reticulata about to open.
And today there were three blooming!

Such a deep, cobalt blue. I never really paid attention to how many of the early spring bulbs are blue, but they are all quite lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment