Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Fleeting Few Days of Lilacs

Driving up 27 on our way back from Charleston, I saw some of the most massive lilacs shrubs I have ever seen in my life. Huge old bushes on old farms, easily 12' tall (or taller) and all laden with blooms. I began to get nervous, though, fearing that the recent heat would have already put them past their prime when I returned home from down South. Lilacs are one of my favorite flowers (I know I say that a lot, but the order of favorites is peonies, daffodils, lilacs, muscari, and hydrangeas. Oh, and lily-of-the-valley. And cosmos. And allium. Oh, and roses and tulips and hyacinths and Oriental lilies and sunflowers) and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to have any for the Penthouse this year. Thankfully, I was wrong. I went to my "secret" lilac place and brought home a big bucketful.


My secret spot-Maria's backyard. Such gorgeous lilacs!

I brought these home and went to work arranging them.
I decided to put my faux bois containers to use. Because this one in porous, I put an aluminum pan inside to hold the water. The flowers falling over the edge hid the metal container. To make the lilacs last longer, either bash the ends with a hammer, or cut up the stem to separate the ends of the woody stems allowing them to take in water more easily.

This one is glazed terracotta, and is watertight on the inside so I just filled it with water.
You don't really have to do much arranging with lilacs, you can just sort of shove them into the vessel.
These two big bunches (the one in the living room and this one in the dining room) completely filled the Penthouse with their sweet scent. Alas, cut lilacs last only a few days, and they will probably be spent by Friday at the latest.

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I love the blooms, the fragrance, the subtle shades of lavender.... I can never have enough of these beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, David! It's always time consuming (and a bit messy) prepping them for the three, maybe four days they last, but well worth it! Hopefully in about two more years the little guys in the garden will really begin to grow!

    ReplyDelete