Monday, April 16, 2012

Meatless Monday-Cauliflower and Chamomile Soup

In the interest of eating healthier (there will hopefully be a lack of pasta posts for a while), I decided to make this soup that I found once on a box of tea. It was chamomile tea, and I was rather surprised to see a recipe on the box. I think this is about right (as far as measurements go). It's pretty quick, simple, and the butter is really the only "bad" thing in there.


Start by making strong tea-5 chamomile tea bags in about four cups of water. Let it boil away until it's a pretty strong brew (maybe 6 minutes...I didn't really time it).
Meanwhile, chop up a head of cauliflower, a couple of stalks of celery, and an onion (I used half of a small yellow onion, though I wish I would have used more).
Tea's done!

Throw in the cauliflower and turn down the heat. Simmer, covered, until it is tender, 10-15 minutes, depending on how small you chopped the cauliflower.
Meanwhile, saute the onion and celery in a tablespoon or so of butter until onion is soft. I suppose you could use olive oil, but everything else is so good for you, why bother?
Turn the heat off the onion and celery and check the cauliflower.


If it is tender, strain it so you can save all the little crumbles that always break off the cauliflower. 4 cups of water turned into about two cups of leftover "tea".
Into the food processor (or blender) it goes. I pureed the cauliflower first, then added the celery and onion (and salt and pepper...it can take a lot), and then all 2 cups of the cooking tea. Be careful here, especially if you use a blender-hot things expand when they get blitzed (does that sound right?). I always let the ingredients cool down a bit before processing.
It was still a little thick, but tasty. I added some plain Greek yogurt and some of the first chives from the garden. Excellent. You could maybe add a bit of lemon juice, but I like the tang of the yogurt. It's sort of a strange recipe, but if you like soup, and cauliflower, and, well, chamomile tea, you should really give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment