Sunday, April 22, 2012

New Figs!

Yesterday I finally got around to potting up the two new fig trees I brought home from Charleston. I really wanted to go to Lowes while I was there, just to see what they had that was different. I was blown over. It's a good thing we didn't have much room in the car for the return trip, or I would have had zero self control. There were enormous cycads and agave. Tons of different types of bougainvillea, and citrus. Lots and lots of citrus.

Walking up to Lowes, the first thing I saw were enormous citrus trees. I mean just look at these guys!

There were even more across the aisle! Mature grapefruit, Cara Cara oranges, Meyer lemons, Key Limes...I was going crazy. Plus they were all priced about the same as an apple or pear tree would be at our local nursery. I had to walk away very quickly.

I did, however, manage to fit these two little, healthy figs into the trunk. The one on the left is ficus carica 'Black Mission'. The one on the right is a 'Texas Everbearing'. Neither will be hardy in our zone, so these will need to overwinter inside.
They even came with some South Carolina weeds!
All of my figs (and a few of the citrus) are planted in these brown terracotta pots that I just love.
Moved into the front windows where they will wait patiently for their turn at "Summer Camp" in the Garden!
Two of the 'Chicago Hardy' figs are putting out a lot of fruit. I really, really, really need to get started on cleaning up the mess of a bed along the South side of the house that will become their home. And I need to get it done soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment