Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Cannellini and Kale Soup (Kind Of)

 I saw this recipe on Alexis Stewart's blog, and when I clicked on the link in went to a recipe on her mom's website which is awesome, because a lot of Alexis' recipes are from cookbooks that have not published the recipe online (and therefore neither does Alexis). It looked pretty simple, and I've been a bit of a kale nut lately, so I decided to make it. Fast forward to searching high and low for dried cannellini beans! I finally gave up and used Great Northern beans. Soaked them last night, and made the soup (Great Northern and Kale) today. Oh, I also couldn't find anything but purple kale. Alright, I only looked one place, but a little tip if using purple kale-chop it up small. Perhaps the kale had not simmered long enough in the pureed soup, but I was starving, and it was still tougher than I like. 


All of the ingredients (minus the kale and pepper). Why does it look like the chopped onions are moving?



Getting things started. Onions and carrots in olive oil.

Add the garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, and thyme (picked in the garden today!).

Add the beans and 6 cups of water and the bay leaf. Simmer for 45 minutes, or until the beans are tender. As usual, I didn't really pay attention. They may have simmered away a bit longer.

Into the food processor in two batches...

And voila! Right here the soup was delicious. I mean...really, really delicious.

Tossed in the too large pieces of kale and continued to cook...though not long enough.


You can tell just by looking that the kale isn't "wilty" enough. Still, it was really good. I've already packed some into the freezer and saved some for lunch or dinner later in the week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment