Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Leek, Ricotta, and Mushroom Frittata

I think I have purchased leeks twice without using them for this recipe that I saw on Alexis Stewart's blog several weeks ago. This time I wasn't going to let them go to waste (although they actually ended up in the compost pile...nothing ever really "goes to waste"). Simple recipe. Easy ingredients. Pretty much like a crust less quiche or egg bake. I used this recipe from Donna Hay, altering as best I could without getting out the scale. 

(50g of butter is about 3.5 Tablespoons. 200g of ricotta is a cup. Mushrooms I just eyeballed. I used half and half for the single cream, although that is technically wrong)

Like I said, easy ingredients

Saute the leeks and mushrooms (I used baby Portobellos) in the butter for about 5 minutes.

Pour the leek mixture into the baking dish (I used a square dish, figuring I could have a wedge per breakfast) and top with the ricotta.

Pour in the beaten eggs and half and half (and some salt and pepper) and pop into the 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes (because of the square dish it took longer to bake).



I like it a little runny, so I took it out just when the eggs were set-this will also help when reheating (it won't get tough). It was pretty tasty for a simple, meatless dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment