Monday, July 23, 2012

Meatless Monday: Spicy South Indian Cauliflower

At long last there was a bit of a break in the weather last week and it was cool enough for me to actually cook in the kitchen. I mean, enjoyably cook in the kitchen. I used this recipe that I saw, as usual, on Alexis Stewart's blog (you didn't think I read the Fitness and Nutrition section of the Times, did you?) and it was even better than I had hoped. Really, really delicious. So good that I don't want to eat the leftovers because then it will be all gone. But I'm going to. And then make more.
Toasting the cumin seeds.

And grinding them up! 

Meanwhile, the cauliflower was steaming away (uncovered only for the picture).

So, I only had ground coriander. The ginger is out of a tube (but just as delicious and keeps longer), and I didn't have any turmeric. Turmeric is just for color anyhoo, right?

Getting started with the Serrano, cumin, and ginger. Instantly fragrant.

Pretty much just broke apart all of the cauliflower. Some wasn't quite done, but was finished off in the next step.

Add the cauliflower and stir fry for a few minutes, then add the tomatoes (I added an entire can-the juice was absorbed by the cauliflower and it didn't make it soupy or anything), coriander, cayenne, and salt.

Cook another five minutes or so (I went a bit longer) and add the cilantro.


Eat immediately. All of it. Just keep eating. It's that good!

2 comments:

  1. Looks good! I love anything Indian, curried, etc. Thanks so much for the okra tips and recipe! I have no idea about that plant so it is much appreciated. :) Hope you are well. It's a great season. I so wish it would rain, but we are making due....hope you are too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing the best we can. Water barrels are to be the next investment. Okra, however, should be absolutely LOVING this weather. It likes it HOT. And can handle the dry weather. I should have planted nothing but okra. ;)

    ReplyDelete