Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Fall Decorations From Halloween to Thanksgiving

I didn't really do as much Halloween decorating this year as I have in the past. Instead I just bought a bunch of gourds and squash that would see me through the week of Halloween until Thanksgiving. The best part is that I can use them for cooking! Aside from the gourds, of course. I've done a bit of research and it seems even the white pumpkins are edible, although I will probably cut one and roast it to taste test before I go crazy cutting them all up.
Some pumpkins shaded by, what else, a banana tree!


Some whiteware pumpkins.
I thought these little guys looked kind of funny on the metal vases. A bit like some sort of scarecrow soldier or robot. Something you might see in Oz.


Some delicate, dried 'Limelight' hydrangeas in a faux bois planter and more whiteware pumpkins.

A little Sugar Pie Pumpkin and some leaf dishes on the brass tray table.


The awesome wreaths Junior and I made on Sunday.


I love how the sun shines through them.

A Turk's Cap squash surrounded by gourds. I can't wait to cook the Turk's Cap (or Turban) squash. I've found some recipes you bake right in the shell.

In the kitchen I usually bring out my small collection of yelloware in the fall. This year, however, I was happy to just keep it simple (all of the summer's jadeite has been put away and replaced with the "everyday" Wedgwood Queen's Ware and Drabware) and brought out some of the Wedgwood Williamsburg Aviary plates I rescued from the prop room at the Theatre. They had been purchased for a show where pieces were broken each and every night. Makes me quite grateful that I found these when I did.

I have dinner and salad plates, one complete cup and saucer, and quite a few bread and butter plates. I love the brown print and rather Native American-inspired border.



And of course some turkeys have begun to appear. I hate to say it, but I'm already beginning to look forward to decorating for Christmas. There are so many after Christmas sale purchases I can't wait to use this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment