Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Crocus Sativus Project Update

Last week as bulb and perennial planting continued, I checked up on the Crocus sativus bulbs. To my surprise, they are up and growing! I'm not sure what the frost might have done to them, but I'm hoping not too much. This weekend is supposed to be in the 60's (!), and I'll be able to check up on them again. I hope they are alright. My Saffron Empire depends on it!
Pushing right up out of the ground only a month after planting. I will probably cover them with leaves, even though they are hardy to Zone 6 (which we now are). 

Each bulb usually gets four flowers, and each flower has three bright red stigmas that are harvested and dried. The dried stigmas are saffron, and saffron is pretty costly. I hope to be independently wealthy by the age of 75.

No comments:

Post a Comment