Monday, January 7, 2013

Amaryllis Update

After a month and a half or so out of their two months in the cabinet in the garage (and an initial watering to get them going) three out of the first four amaryllis are sending up buds! Hope this is a good sign for the rest of them re blooming!
It's strange how differently timed each one is. They were all brought home at the same time.

Barely peaking up.


Starting to shoot up.
And getting close to blooming. Now if only the fourth guy would do something. I might wait another week and then water him again. It's important not to water too often until a bud appears or you risk rotting the bulb. You can't force an amaryllis by watering.

I brought all of these home the other day. They looked withered enough, in my opinion.

Cut off the dead leaves, cleaned up the pots, and gave them a drink. Now we'll just have to wait and see what happens!

2 comments:

  1. I received an amaryllis for a Christmas gift; thanks to your previous posts I know what needs to be done to get the bulb to bloom for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If ever there was a plant that thrives on neglect, it's the amaryllis. And they give such a wonderful reward! I think my moving them outside in the summer really helps boost leaf production and bulb size, I never had as much success reblooming them when I grew them only indoors.

      Delete