Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Chicken Cacciatore

One day last week while at the grocery I grabbed some mixed mushrooms that were on sale, as well as a pack of white button mushrooms. I really had no idea what I would make with them, but when I find anything organic on sale I usually grab it. 

That same day I had an email/newsletter/daily recipe thingy from marthastewart.com full of one pot dinners. Flipping through, I saw this recipe and thought it would be perfect for this cold, snowy weather. It's a very simple version of chicken cacciatore, since there is usually also some onion and peppers involved, but it was very tasty and perfect over rice as well as leftover mashed potatoes. I mean, mashed potatoes are like a deconstructed gnocchi, right?


I had boneless skinless thighs instead of breasts (because I've been buying organic chicken and the thighs are the least expensive).

A little over one pound of button, cremini, portobella, and oyster mushrooms sort of chopped up.


Tomatoes, garlic, and oregano ready to go.

Mushrooms always cook way down, and also always surprise me with how much liquid they release.

Put the chicken back in to finish cooking and...


Delish! Perhaps in 2013 I can work on not eating dinner standing at the kitchen counter, and therefore taking prettier pictures of the food. However, I guess dirty counter tops and scribbled recipes is much more "real". Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment