Sunday, January 20, 2013

Meatless Monday from "Meatless"-Lentil and Sweet-Potato Stew

 Last week the latest book from the kitchens of Martha Stewart Living arrived, and I was pretty excited to dive in. I have been inspired by Alexis Stewart's blog, but also by wanting to use what I'm growing, to do more vegetarian cooking, and this book has arrived at the perfect time. I mean, who doesn't want to at least say that they are attempting to eat healthier in the New Year, right?

Flipping through the book, I am inspired all over again. Yes there are many recipes I want to try, but I'm also inspired to try new things in the garden this year. See that? "This year"!!! It's actually time to begin to focus on plans for the Spring. After all, peas and greens go in in less than two months! 

 Anyway, this is the recipe, and even though many of the recipes are available online, don't you just a love sitting down and flipping through a book? I know I do!
You can buy Meatless here.

A classic mirepoix-celery, onion, and "old" organic carrots. Don't judge. They still tasted better than ever and I couldn't just waste them.


Get the curry powder ready.

Rinse your dirty old lentils. 


And get cooking! Boy oh boy does it smell curry-y. 

Cooking everything but the green beans and tomatoes. They go in at the very end.



I didn't have cilantro, but did have Greek yogurt. The stew is really pretty good, although it's nice to have some vegetable stock on hand for reheating, as it seems like there's never enough "juice" after it gets put away for leftovers.


4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious...just had greek yogurt and now am thinking of all I can do with it. Never thought about it on lentils. I found another great meatless monday stew: Chickpea and Winter Vegetable Stew (http://www.miratelinc.com/blog/meatless-monday-with-chickpea-and-winter-vegetable-stew/) would this be good with Greek yogurt too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lillian! That recipe looks delicious! As a rule, I figure anything that you would want to put sour cream on you can put Greek yogurt on. It just adds that tart creaminess. This recipe looks like it would be great on its own!

      Delete
  2. Looks yummy!!! We just love anything curried. :) We sat down at our local coffee shop on Monday and put together our seed order. So excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have hardly even looked at the catalogs, but did organize all of the seeds we still have from last year (and the year before, and some older-I need to do some germination testing soon). I was really getting the itch, and then today it was 3 degrees when I woke up. I guess I can continue nesting a bit longer before I get to start playing in the dirt. I can't wait to see how your garden grows this year!

      Delete