Thursday, June 13, 2013

A Little Maintenance in the Hydrangea Border

Although I'm pretty awesome with proportions in all other aspects of life and design, I am really, really awful with proportions in the Garden. I always need to think BIGGER! Every bed I've ever made in the Garden should have been at least a foot deeper, sometimes more. I also should have edged the beds with brick, as I've always planned, because over the years the grass has made a stealthy attack at reclaiming stolen territory. 
See? This bed should be so much deeper! It drives me crazy. One day (hopefully) these hydrangeas will be big and full and amazing! They need more room to grow!

Looking the other direction. The hostas have grown a bit faster than I thought they would. Plants are hanging over the grass. We need to fix this! 

And the solution. Mulch and cardboard (or newsprint). The lazy man's way of "edging" (and expanding) a border.

Instantly much more attractive! You lay dampened newspaper or cardboard over the grass and mulch on top of that. By next year we will be able to plant some annuals in this area because the grass will be smothered and the soil easy to dig. And then I'll end up seeing it as free space and I'll plant bulbs...and the cycle will continue as the bulbs take over and I push the edge out again.

I still would like a nice edge made with pavers, but for now this is much better.

I also need to move a few things. This poor Japanese painted fern is being over run by the hosta! The hostas look great this year, but might actually need to be divided already!

And the climbing hydrangea is taking over an Autumn fern. The climbing hydrangea actually has quite a few runners that are in need of removal or relocation. They all have roots, so perhaps a few on each of the trees in the garden would be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment