Monday, August 19, 2013

Meatless Monday - Simple Summer Succotash

A few years ago I posted about the real deal, lima beans and all, version of succotash that usually comes to mind when you hear the word. Succotash can also, however, be as simple as sweet corn, zucchini, and green beans sauteed in some olive oil. It's a great way to use the beans and squash that begin to take over the garden around this time of year. If you don't garden, it's a great way to use up those impulse purchases you make at the farmer's markets!

In my case, it was a great way to use up the last of the first round of Burgundy beans. Here are the ingredients - Corn, beans, zucchini. There is nothing more delicious than simplicity.

I supplemented the Burgundy beans with some oh so tender French filet beans. These are delicious raw, so I through them in at the absolute end of cooking.

Burgundy beans first in about two glugs of olive oil.

They turn green in no time. Then went in the zucchini, then the corn, salt and pepper, and then the French filet beans.

Fresh, delicious, simple. Nothing could be easier than some simple Summer succotash.

5 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Hope you are enjoying a great summer. :) I know Martha will so appreciate your wave when you get to Acadia. It's a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be there now! Far, far from this heat. Well, the current temp in Seal Harbor is 70 degrees, but it still seems better than here!

      Delete
  2. I'm sure you've seen this, but just in case not: http://everydayfoodblog.marthastewart.com/2013/01/its-here-marthas-meatless-cookbook.html. I picked it up at the library last night and it looks superb!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it on my desk at home! So many awesome recipes. There is also a great youtube channel for Everyday Food where you can watch Sarah Carey in action. They are quick, under five minute little daily recipes.

      Delete
    2. I mean, in case you never click on the links I am always posting. I'm slow this morning...the coffee STILL hasn't kicked in.

      Delete