Monday, November 18, 2013

Meatless Monday : Black Bean and Almond Soup

We are in the home stretch. One more soup for Meatless Monday and Souper November (souper cheesy?) will be over. I actually already have that soup planned, which I really cannot believe. I mean, I always thing I plan ahead and am organized, but as I type this I should be packing for a quick trip to Indianapolis. However, because I didn't plan ahead on my posts, well, I'm totally unorganized right now.

This soup looked to me like a "pantry" soup since every ingredient, aside from the avocado and cilantro, are pretty much pantry staples. Who doesn't have a few cans of black beans languishing away on the shelf?
This is actually a two for one post, since I made some green rice puree while the soup was simmering. The soup recipe itself comes from the November issue of Martha Stewart Living, and you can find it here.

Once again I used vegetable stock rather than chicken.

Maybe I didn't have ALL of the ingredients. I only had one pretty small red onion, so I used it and an equally small yellow onion.

When you add the garlic and cumin make sure you let the cumin cook. Raw cumin is nothing but nasty.

Rinse the beans, throw them in the pot. Add the veg stock.

While the soup simmers, you can toast your almonds.


And while you toast your almonds you can prep the cilantro for the soup and the green rice, as well as chop up the ingredients for green rice.

Tomatillos, green onion, a white onion, some lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, and jalapenos. 
Puree it all together and add some salt and pepper. Here's the actual recipe if you don't want to eyeball it.
Once the soup has cooled, puree it in a blender in batches, adding the almonds and cilantro.

Reheat and serve it up. There is some Greek yogurt buried under all that avocado somewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment