Sunday, November 10, 2013

Meatless Monday: Wild and Brown Rice Mushroom Soup

Another Meatless Monday and another mushroom soup recipe. Why? Because I just can't stop with the mushrooms. Really, I think I want to buy one of those mushroom growing kits. Soup is really in order as the first few flakes might be flying in the sky today, or tonight.

This recipe was on a bag of Bob's Red Mill Wild and Brown Rice blend. Here's a little secret - Big Lots almost always has a huge selection of Bob's Red Mill products at a nice discount. It's true. I go every few months and stock up. I also usually stock up on pasta, since they have good brands and random and rare types. They also have many organic finds, like canned tomatoes, olive oils, and some baking products.

You can see the recipe here. I omitted the half and half and, since it's Meatless Monday, swapped the chicken stock with vegetable. I suppose you could swap oil for butter and make it vegan.


Butter, onions, garlic, and thyme. One of the best wafting smells in the world.
Stirred in the rice and then added the stock.
While the soup was simmering I cleaned, chopped, and sauteed the mushrooms, set them aside, and washed up some dishes while the soup continued to simmer. 

Stir everything together, season, and eat!
As usual, it's even better the next day, although I added a bit more stock to make it more "soupy".


No comments:

Post a Comment