Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Chicken Soup for My Sanity

One of the last things I did before becoming a shut-in over the weekend was pick up a whole chicken. Last week I had bought parsnips and celery in preparation for making this soup (I was relying on my faulty memory in buying the celery, which is not an ingredient in this recipe), but couldn't find a whole organic chicken anywhere! At the last minute, and before I began to execute my plan to trap the doves at the feeder, I found one and all was well.

So here we have Susan's Chicken Soup. I think Susan is Sarah Carey's mom, and you know I love Sarah Carey, so naturally I think her mom is awesome. Anyway, this is so easy and delicious (the broth is wonderful), and it really does help keep your sanity in check as the cold seeps in, your fingers get frost bit, and you realize there is no way in hell that you are shoveling your car out on your own. Rather than go back to bed in disgust, make this soup.
A fat little chicken (organic, please), a couple of onions, some parsnips, and a pound of carrots of all sizes and colors from the garden.

Throw the bird in breast side down, add the chopped vegetables, and add about 12 cups of water. Season with salt, bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 35-40 minutes.

After the chicken cools discard the skin and pick the meat off the bones. The chicken tastes so good you really have to try hard to have enough meat to add back into the soup.

A perfect way to fight off subzero wind chills. And making it is a perfect way to stay sane when you are snowed in. I know it helped keep me from talking to the walls!

No comments:

Post a Comment