Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Snowed In

 I guess I asked for it. The Holidays had wore me out, and I was looking forward to a Saturday in, followed by the promise of a snowstorm on Sunday. There was that bit of hope that we might even have a snow day on Monday (that rare, wonderful thing that never happens once you are an adult unless you are a teacher). Well we were walloped. 

I, however, have never been so productive despite cabin fever encroaching last night. I worked for a few hours today, but thankfully returned home to a cleared out parking spot. The temperatures are supposed to almost reach 20 degrees by tomorrow, with rain this weekend. Hopefully it will all be gone as quickly (and it did come down pretty fast once it got started) as it arrived.

The mighty pine out my living room windows. That massive pile of snow is still hanging on somehow. I was hoping no branches would break, but a few did come down.

A look up West Berry Street early on during the heaviest snow. Once the snow ended that night the wind and wind chill picked up.

Looking East toward downtown. The snow still sticking to all of the tree branches.

You could barely make out the steeple of the church on Broadway only about four blocks away.


I paused for some lunch. Bucatini with homemade tomato sauce and some leftover sausage "meatballs" that I always make for parties. I used turkey sausage this time and they were pretty darn good. They are really easy to make ahead and freeze. I've used them for pasta before.
I then spent a good hour or so flipping through some of the 2014 seed and plant catalogs. I really have not ever been so unconscious of time as I have been the past three days.

Feeling like I was being lazy I cleaned all of the glassware, put away the holiday glasses, cleaned out the coffee and tea cupboard where they reside on the top shelves, and cleaned everything on the open shelves in the kitchen. Whew.
I love these old Martha Stewart Everyday glasses. They match perfectly the green of Depression glass, and work well at Christmas.
I took one last look outside and decided to just go to bed. I had been up since 9:30. Or was it 9? Or maybe 8? No, 8 was yesterday.
When I woke up to this view out the front windows. Sub zero wind chills completely frosted over the storm windows. It's funny to see my two tropical stephanotis plants only about 18 inches from a frozen death. I can't imagine all of the Southern gardeners dealing with the deep freeze that moved in yesterday, and how many tender plants they may have lost.


No comments:

Post a Comment