Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Collecting: Mid Century Pottery

I've been collecting old thrift store and garage sale pottery ever since I moved into my first solo apartment and really began to refine my own personal design aesthetic. I've gone through many phases (my blue and white china vase period was pretty amazing), and have had two major "edits" where things were either given away, donated, packed away, or sold. The pottery, however, has always remained, and the collection continues to grow as either myself or my greatest tag sale "hunter" and friend, Abigail, discovers more and more nice pieces at great prices.

Not that any of it is worth a ton of money, but a few things are worth quite a bit more than the few dollars I spent on them. And if something has a little chip, it doesn't bother me. These are all bought because I like their looks, not as investments. And usually chips are hidden when the piece is filled with flowers or a plant anyway.

A mix of mostly matte white pottery. The large urn in the top center and the vase on the bottom right are bottom right are both Haeger. The "handled" vase on the top right is McCoy.

This is a random ceramic piece I picked up at a thrift store. It looks wonderful when filled with peonies.

Jeannette Lachner, whoever she was, did a very nice job. I always feel a little sad when I find something like this. Did the person who gave this away know Jeannette? Was this bought at an art fair, or was it someone who worked with ceramics as a hobby? Is it the scheming ex wife of someone who threw all of her pieces into a charity box? We will never know...


Another random assortment. The two yellow vases in the back are McCoy, the orange and robin's egg blue are unmarked.


A completely random selection. An olive green Haeger compote, a random reddish thing thrown by your's truly, and a new vase from Ikea. I guess it's not ALL mid-century.

The random drip glaze pieces I began picking up randomly. They all look great filled with peonies or roses, or even as a cachepot for plants in plastic containers. The tall, oddly shaped vase in the back is perfect for tulips.


The McCoy mark.


The Frankoma stamp, which I love for the rather earthy tones of the pottery.

The Haeger stamp just visible.

All together, with some of my treasured turquoise, McCoy-inspired, Martha Stewart Everyday planters lined up beneath the cabinet. I love the "contained" jolt of color this collection gives to the living room.

A pair of Haeger matte green water lily candle holders. Made for the 75th anniversary of the company, this would put them at around 1946.

The Haeger pot put to use as a cachepot for an orchid.

A little USA pottery planter holds a fern.

I'm not sure where this little guy came from, but he was part of a lot that Abigail found at an estate sale.

And here is the rest of that lot! I love the random shapes and designs.

I also find it odd when you run across things that are different materials, but look alike. I have a milk glass urn that looks as though it could have been poured from the same mold.

It's no secret that I love green, and the variations of the greens and turquoise and jade work perfect in my closet "office".

The little vase on the left is from the same lot as the others above. The pot on the right, sort of a ginger jar shape, is from a shop in Fountain Square.

I don't think it will hold pens for much longer. Spring is here and flowers will soon be in abundance!

No comments:

Post a Comment