Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Lilies Are Coming!

"We need more lilies!"

That was a declaration I made about three Springs ago after seeing a photo on Martha Stewart's blog of the kitchen table at her Lily Pond house set for dinner and full of Tiger Lilies. The real, tall, elegant Tiger Lilies, and not the invasive Ditch Lilies often called Tiger Lilies in the United States.

So I began an ongoing campaign to find and plant as many lilies as I can, and this year my investment is beginning to pay off as the lilies, both old and new, have never looked better!

Almost instant gratification. These 'Mona Lisa' Oriental lilies were shoved on a shelf and marked $1.99 because their blooms were past their prime. I snatched them up because they were less expensive than buying bulbs in the Fall, and these were pretty much guaranteed to come back next year since they were such nice sized plants this year! I should have bought them all.

And besides, even faded blooms still smell sweet.

The heat will have these mauve-pink Asiatics open in no time.

Planted in the same bed are several of the Tiger Lilies I purchased as bulbs this Spring. They are looking great!

Some of the old (at least eight or ten years old) 'Stargazer' lilies have spread to include newer, young shoots (the older clump is in the background). They haven't spread much in this bed, and I'm not sure why.

Some much shorter Asiatics in the same bed.

I really am excited about all of the bulbs I just planted this year because they really are growing so well. If only I would have marked them better...

These are some sort of double Orientals that my mom ordered and planted. Unfortunately I believe the rabbits took a little snip off of the one on the left.
Here's where I need to dig through my garden records and see what is growing. It's either an Oriental or Orienpet.


A few more who will bloom for the first time this year!

Planted late and off the clearance rack, these bulbs had sprouted and twisted around each other and their package. I untangled them and they are actually growing! However, they will all have to get moved. I had a grand plan for a "Yellow Border" in the same bed as the forsythia and split corona daffodils. Well, the forsythia are growing into the wild mass that I want them to be (no formality with forsythia, please) and are overshadowing the new lilies. I'll let them go and maybe flower this year, and then move them.

These low growing Asiatics will stay, however, as they are planted closer to the daffodils and thus the front edge of the bed. The rabbits, unfortunately, think they are delicious.


This little guy in the White Garden has been eaten down to the ground so many times I'm surprised he decided to make another attempt. He just might make it this year, with the aid of our rabbit deterrent. 

The tall and lovely 'Scheherazade' Orienpet (a hybrid of Oriental and Trumpet lilies) is growing, and multiplying, stronger than ever. I planted these fragrant lilies on the outside edge of the vegetable garden to help attract pollinators. Unfortunately this Spring I have seen very few honey bees.  

And several sturdy, tall stems of highly fragrant 'Casablanca' lilies are planted at the edge of the now ferny asparagus patch. Another attempt at drawing in the pollinators.

Like I said, with all the heat this week and next I am sure a few things will begin blooming ahead of time. I can't wait to show you pictures of everyone blooming!

No comments:

Post a Comment