Saturday, December 20, 2014

Garden Winterizing Complete

After some early freezing, December warmed up quite a bit. Despite raining on almost every day I had off of work, the mild weather allowed the winterizing process to stretch out until this past Sunday when it was in the 40s! We needed to get all of the boxwood burlapped, the little white azalea protected, and maybe something around the forsythia. After a little looking, we needed to protect several other things, not from snow, but from varmints.

 The boxwood themselves are hardy. Heavy, wet snow, however, can cause damage to the branches by weighing them down until they snap. The same with ice. The burlap just keeps everyone snug and safe throughout the winter. One boxwood is beginning to get a little large, and the big old boxwood out front is way too big to wrap in burlap, so I was wondering what else I might do . I didn't have to look far, for as usual Martha was already on top of things. See how she is wrapping her larger boxwood this year by clicking here. You can also see how she's been "burlap obsessed" in the past here.

Take a look at our much more humble burlapping project, completed just in time for the start of Winter!
Every spring I swear I am going to get the staples pulled out of the stakes and see what needs replaced. Every fall I'm kicking myself for not having done these things.

This guy graduated to some taller stakes this year. Next year he might just get wrapped in netting.

The random sizes along the patio are growing larger, but it is still easier to wrap them all under one "tent".

Everyone under wraps. We increased our boxwood count by about 20 this year! (although they are very small)

Rather than cut the burlap or the stakes, I just made the tents for the tiny shrubs tall. These I can take apart in the spring, re roll the burlap, and mark where it was used. Boxwood is a slow grower, so I should be able to reuse this for a few years.


Some rabbits have already been chewing on the new Japanese maples, so I used some leftover wire fencing and made some collars for the little trees. I just don't understand why they leave them alone in the summer, but chew them down in the winter. Hopefully this acer palmatum 'Wolff' will survive the winter.

They had also already begun chewing on the azalea. Now he's protected from the wind and the rabbits.

The "tent" on the left will also act as a bit of a windbreak for another new Japanese maple and the Rhododendron.
This Japanese maple, acer palmatum 'Red Dragon', gets a collar, too. He was the first one I noticed had been chewed on.
Go home, daffodils. You're drunk.

The long row along the patio. I still need to find one more larger boxwood for the near end to balance out the other two. I'll have to scour the clearance plants next summer.

One of the little primula, or primrose, had decided it was still warm enough to bloom. I need to see if the flower ever opened before the cold hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment