Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Who is Going Where?

October has arrived with a dip into the 30's, causing me, of course, to worry. There are so many tropical plants that need to find their winter spots before too much longer. 

The two Meyer lemons are full of lemons, and I am really worried about an easy transition from outdoors to in with minimal leaf loss or fruit dropping. My collection of elephant ears has grown by at least five, and they need to be dug and transplanted to plastic pots before moving inside. The collection of agave have grown by at least six. Then there are the random sale plants I found, as well as the Bird of Paradise, the angel's trumpet, and all of the fig and, oh, now THREE banana trees.

What was I thinking?

One of the large pots that will soon need to be deconstructed. This upright elephant ear is one I brought back from Charleston, South Carolina so many years ago. This pot sits at the north entrance to the garden along the Hydrangea Border.
Across from that pot, settled in the hydrangeas themselves, is the tall fishtail palm that I believe will be moving to South Calhoun with me for the winter.

Stopping to admire the single bloom sent up by my Empress Wu hosta. She's getting too big for her spot, but I would like to wait to move her for a few more years so I can divide the whole clump.
A late blooming of an Autumn Clematis in what we are still calling the White Garden. So much works needs to be done here.

Another pot in the Shade Garden with my "Stingray" elephant ear.

One of my birthday elephant ears from Contractor. They did exceptionally well planted directly in the ground, but will be potted up into plastic pots before the first frost.

The Bird of Paradise did great in the Shade Garden.
The elephant ear "Megalodon" (Alocasia portei) has also grown considerably since it arrived in a 4" pot from Logee's. It can eventually grow 5'-8', with 3'-4' leaves.
This is one of two giant ferns that I really don't know what to do with. They are plentiful at the garden centers in the spring, and rather inexpensive. They both have just done so well I really want to try to save them.


The smaller citrus plants are ready to move after a good spray down of organic insecticidal soap. In fact all of the plants get a good bath and spray down a day or two before they come inside.

The avocado tree I brought home when we visited Logee's last April. I'm pretty sure I will be going back next week!

The largest Meyer lemon I own is covered in fruit. I believe there are over 40 on this one tree.

I am so worried about losing the harvest, but I think I have a plan. I just hope it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment